Sunday, March 04, 2007

Back from the States

I returned from the States and I am back in my Prague routine - including my traditional late night Motzei Shabbat which usually creates a huge sleeping deficit and completely ruins the rest on my week:-) The trip to the States was a very interesting experience - and I really mean it. Meeting my old friends, seeing American conservative communities, visiting JTS, talking for hours to Marcus and spending a lot of time with rabbi Hammerman and his wife Sharon gave me a lot of food for thought. It is always helpful to leave your world and have a little bit of an insight from the outside. Sometimes one has to go over the ocean to see a bit more clearly what is in front of ones nose at home. But anyway, let´s not be so serious especially today, on Purim.

Let me just share a couple of things I learnt during the trip.

1. I can fundraise - I had no idea that I could.
2. "No fat milk" tastes like dairy dish water, "no fat horse-raddish cheese" tastes like plastic with horse-raddish flavor.
3. JTS is not what I thought it was, but that´s ok, because I should not have thought what I thought.
4. After fundraising in Florida I realised that the idea that "everybody should have the same" that I learnt as a child growing up in a communist country is stuck in my head more than I thought.
5. I miss my American friends.
6. I am prejudiced about Americans. I am ashamed of it.
7. Brooklyn bridge is atually quite short.
8. Some buildings in the US are really tall.
9. American Jews are crazy about Chinese food. That´s funny.
10. Drunk American undergraduates behave the same way drunk British undergraduates do.

And a Purim bonus at the end. This is a picture my friend Jana and myself from today´s purim megilah reading and carnival - I did not know what to dress up like this year so I brushed up my university gown - I wish I could wear it more often:-):

2 comments:

Adiv said...

Could you elaborate on the "prejudiced against Americans" thing? You never mentioned that all through the year that we studied together.

By the way, you never took me seriously about the Eastern Europe thing, did you?

Gafna said...

Actually you have always been very supportive in terms of my European minority issue in the yeshiva - and I am very thankful for that. :-)
Last year I had to listen to several very painful generalizations about my country or the region where I live. I have a number of similar generalizations about the US and its people. And I use them quite often. Not always are they fair :-( That´s what I meant.