Tuesday, July 18, 2006

About the book


Sorry to bother you with the book again, but I thought that once I made such a PR for it when I was on page 56, I should also tell you what I think after reaching the end of the novel. I finished the book on Saturday afternoon and I am afraid my final judgment won’t be very flattering. Naively, I thought I would read a novel based on historic and responsa research that would offer me a peak into the world of 11th century French Jewish women. In my humble opininon, Maggie Anton hoped to create a character of a 12-16 year-old daughter of a famous sage, who shares her time between wine making, being married to an 18-year-old scholar and studying Talmud. In reality, however, the Jocheved (Rashi’s eldest daughter) Anton created far too much resembles a 50-year-old emancipated American Jewish female of the beginning of the 21st century – in what she argues, what texts she studies and how she experiences her female role in the men dominated world. In addition, the author painfully erred in making Rashi the inventor of Champain (a beverage that appeared only 700 years after his death), she presents Christianity of that time in an unnecessarily simplistic way and in my opinion, she puts unnecessary emphasis on the ups and downs of Jocheved and Meir’s marital sexual life. In addition, the author fails to present the sources on which she bases her assumptions about Jocheved’s life, which undermines the author’s efforts greatly. But not to be only critical, the book presents very well researched picture of the customs (both religious, family and folk) of that time and place as well as a vivid portrayal of the demonology and folk beliefs in evil and good spirits of the time. Also, I must admit that after a year in a yeshiva, I quite enjoyed reading such a vivid love story. So my final judgment is – the book is an enjoyable holiday read, but by no means a serious historical study of the life of Rashi´s daughters. In any event, it was pleasant to read it in Troyes and I surely see the town differently thanks to the novel. I should be going back home in two days. I will write more about my Troyes venture when I, b´´eh get to Prague. (The picture shows one of the Troyes streets.)

No comments: