Sunday, October 08, 2006

Terror in Prague?

14 days ago, the Czech secret service said they had received concrete information that leads them to susspicion that Prague should be the next target of an islamist terrorist attack.
It was the weekend of Rosh ha-Shana (Jewish new year) and they said that Jewish buildings are the most probable target. Consequently, we spent the holidays being guarded not only by the usual Jewish community guards, but also by the (armed) Czech police. In addition, Prague was full of policemen and soldiers that guarded mainly the city center and its most important buildings. I took the thread seriously, but I have to admit I was not really alarmed. When I lived in Israel, I was very often informed about security alerts by the Jewish agency through the yeshiva. In the Jewish world, we are used to constant possibility of an attack. In Jerusalem, you are checked by the security even when you go to the pharmacy to buy vitamin C tablets. I teach in a school, in which even the first graders are used to an armed guard that watches over them during the day.

On Friday, prominent Czech newspaper Mlada Fronta Dnes revealed that the target of the Rosh ha-Shana attack should have been the Jerusalem synagogue in Prague. In the article they also described the details of the planned attack. The information was also published in some other world´s newspapers and within minutes made the world´s headlines. My Masorti community joins the Jerusalemska synagogue minyan (the community that prays there) every Shabbat for the Saturday morning service. I know the synagogue and its people very well. On Lejl Sukot (the beginning of the holidays of Tabernacles) i.e. in the evening after the news had been released, my community held a joined meal in the Sukah (a shed we eat and sometimes sleep in during the festival) in the yard of the Jerusalem synagogue for our minyan and the Jerusalem synagogue community as we had been planning since the beginning of the week. The news naturally made people weary, however on Friday evening both of the minyanim (communities) came to the synagogue as usual. All the people that signed up for the dinner during the week were there together with several other guests and visitors. The sad truth is terror became a part of our lives. But I firmly believe we have to face it by not giving in to it. One of the main aims of the terrorists is to make us fear them. Once we give up our lives we will start to make them feel they are winning.

7 comments:

Gafna said...

Actually, believe it or not I was interviewed by a Czech newspaper to say what my feelings about the threat were. If you read Czech, you can check it at http://okresy.mojenoviny.cz/zpravodajstvi_kraj_vy/NY20061007000007.html

Gafna said...

http://okresy.mojenoviny.cz/
zpravodajstvi_kraj_vy/
NY20061007000007.html

(second try to give you the link - I suppose I should not show off this much, that´s why it did not come through the first time:-)

Anonymous said...

I seriously dont think you can call MF Dnes a "prominent" daily... I was trying to confirm that info from some other source but to no avail... Dont wanna play the threat down, but also be careful not to buy everything tabloids write...

Gafna said...

Dear Ondra - MF Dnes is the most widely read broad sheet in the country. You should realize that this blog is read mainly by non-Czechs who will think you are serious.
You should know that the news were brought also by the Czech telegraphic agency (CTK), Czech radio (cesky rozhlas) - I know what you mean, but because you are in the US now, you dont know that the situation in Prague is really not that light as you think.

Gafna said...

Hi again, I wrote the post in a rush in between my classes, which was not the best idea - there are two serious grammar mistakes in the text (who can find them?) and the text is too impatient. Sorry. Ondro, thanks for the comment. However I still think the situation is not as serious as the press said but it is still more serious than you think.

Anonymous said...

Well if CTK and CRo brought the same news NOT QUOTING MFD, i.e. from other source, then I sincerely apologize. I tried to verify it but haven't suceeded...
PS: I'm sure I don't have to explain the difference between "most widely read" and "prominent". All I'm saying is that MFD has their own interests: to sell and that we need to bear that in mind. Of course I agree that increased security as prevention is a rational step.

Anonymous said...

good summary, Herald Tribune