Tuesday, July 01, 2008

And the angels were laughing

Recently, the structure of my spendings have slightly changed - I have more or less finished the major investments into my flat and and it is the time to change the way I think about my money now. Today, I put on my make up and the most self-confident smile I could find and I set off to my bank to meet my financial consultant. I sat down at the counter, leaned rightwards on the chair and started to discuss my plans and prospects for the next couple of years. Lenka S., my financial advisor, who has known me for the last 8 years, very carefully listened to what I had to say. She asked me a couple of additional questions about my life and investment plans and expectations for the nearest future, made some further suggestions and then we closed the deal. As we were signing the contracts that sent my monies in different directions it downed on me what a chutzpah of me it was to plan what is going to happen to you in the future. When you make financial decisions of this kind, you decide to give up your money for some time and let it work, because you think you will not need it. You put the money into different places for different periods of time guessing: When will I have kids? Will I keep my job and vages? Will I get a promotion? What are the chances I will need some extra money to spend on unexpected expenses? These are things you surely try to plan but you can naturally never know what life will bring in the end. My today´s bank appointment reminded me of the old Jewish joke: How can you make G-d laugh? When you tell Him what your plans for the future are.

Well, well. I made my guess, let´s see what happens.

No comments: