Sunday, September 03, 2006

The time has come. Day Zero.

Yes, the time has come. After a month of getting ready in an empty school, tomorrow I shall come to a building swarming with children. Tomorrow is the first school day. I am ready - I removed my mustache, filled in the class register for the 7th grade where I am the class teacher, put up several notice boards, learnt to chant "Mode ani lefanecha" according to the Chabad nusach (way of chanting) the 1st graders are used to so that I can start to lead the morning prayers for the smallest children, I wrote the initial class teacher letter to the parents of "my" kids, made plans for having them over in my Succah, baked welcome ginger chamsas for the first graders, talked to their parents and assured them we would do our best to make the kids smart educated Jews, ordered my English games portfolio and last but not least, calmed down, stopped feeling nautious in the morning and started to await what is ahead with hopes and enthusiasm.

These are exciting times. Aleš left back for Jerusalem on Thursday (to my great grief), Clary is starting her studies at the Yeshiva tomorrow, Michelle is getting married today, my brother is back at school sitting for his exams. September is always a hectic time full of changes. 21 years ago, I went to the 1st grade as a small girl with a huge school bag ready to learn all there was to learn. I have studied ever since, three qarters of my life so far. Now it seems the time has come for me to stand on the other end of the classroom. We shall see how it goes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm crossing my fingers for you, good luck! it's funny, but even I am excited for you - even more so because beezrat hashem I also will teach Jewish stuff in a month (although not to kids, which makes things far easier). I'm looking forward to reading how the first day was like!

Nikki said...

B'Hatzlacha!

You are gonna do great!

Clary said...

Hi Gafna,
I am sorry that I am not a youngster going to the Jewish school in Prague. It would be great to have you as a teacher and leading services (I am still not able to do that, so do not tell them that I am a rabbinical student). No serious, I have full confidence in you, with your love for and knowledge of Judaism.
And Ales is in good hands, it is great to share an appartment with him!
Wishing you all the best. Enjoy what you are doing.