Sunday, December 24, 2006

New year´s resolutions

As the year slowly comes to its end, I started to think about new year´s resolutions. Don´t worry, I will not start to give reasons why you should or shouldn´t make them or whether Jews should make them in January or at Rosh ha-Shana :-) – I just recently remembered Robert Fulghum´s book "From Beginning to End, the Rituals of Our Lives" that I liked when I was a teenager. In this book Fulghum describes his personal custom of new year´s resolutions: At the end of each year, he would write down a list of things he managed to do during the previous year. When he is done he heads the piece of paper with a title “My new year´s resolutions for...” and adds the previous year. I think it is an excellent idea. So here is my list:


My New Year´s Resolutions for 2006:
  1. Learn to lain (read from the Torah).
  2. Learn to be a synagogue gabai.
  3. Return from Israel and settle back at home.
  4. Buy a bed and furnish my new flat.
  5. Find a decent job, which I would find meaningful.
  6. Fix my favorite brown sweater, which has been torn for 2 years.
  7. Read Virgina Woolf´s "To the Lighthouse."
  8. Not to get married to a freak.
Great:-)

No comments: