Sunday, December 10, 2006

The ups and downs of a life of an employed person

The last couple of weeks since the time I had come back to work after my flu have been rather ...unusual. I would never believe what 10 days of illness and staying in bed at home can do. Despite all the exhaustion and sleepless nights that my teaching causes, I found out I really like and need my job. I realized what a luxury it is to have something meaningful to do every day. Moreover, I found out that as much as the work draws huge amounts of energy from me, it loads a lot of energy into me too. It is a very possitive feeling. Now I have 2 more weeks ahead of me before the start of winter holidays. The two weeks will be full of Chanukah programs - we have prepared all kinds workshops for the kids including a Chanukah school sleepover with my 7th graders, which I hope should be fun and also a bit of more "get-to-know-that-Gafna -is-not-only-a-teacher-but-also-a-human-being" event. I shall let you know how it goes.

On the darker side of things, I have had a bit hard time in my Masorti job. Despite the fact that all the logistics part of my job and "making-sure-things-are happening-the-way-they-should-and-everyone-has-something-to-eat-and-drink" is going well, I have encountered two very painful cases in the community where Halakhah (Jewish religious law) and politics did not give way to a solution of a problem which seemed morally right. These were situations in which I felt painfully hopeless, helpless and lost. I have encountered a situation when I felt I did all I could to achieve something good and it all went down the drain. I wander if this is an inseparable part of an adult life too.

No comments: